AOCRA is rallying members and the outrigger community to assist communities affected by bushfires. Some of our members, their friends and families are located in the fire zones, and some have been heavily involved with and impacted by the fires.
There are many ways to assist fire affected communities. We understand that some members may choose to assist in other ways or have already donated directly to their chosen charity. However, in these distressing times some members have turned to the outrigging community to ask what we can do to help.
After considering the advice of NSW Rural Fire Service, Red Cross and other charities, the board of management believes that we can best assist by seeking to raise funds to support those in the worst affected areas. We will make further announcements in the next couple of days about the fund raising efforts and AOCRA will coordinate/facilitate at an institutional level for members to participate in.
We will need the help of members to assist us with these fund raising efforts and will look to centralise and coordinate our efforts to provide the most impactful help we can. Keep an eye out for further communications.
As many of you would have seen on Facebook and other media, many Surf Life Saving Clubs are also doing what they can to collect clothing and food donations. We encourage all members to use these collection points to drop off anything they can like food (non perishables) and clothing.
If your club or your club members have been impacted please do let us know.
Thanks for your support.
On behalf of the Board
Following our communication this morning that we would be implementing some fund raising initiatives for those affected by the bushfires, the board is now seeking member support for the following initiatives to raise $25k.
1. Bucket Brigades: We are calling on members to donate a gold coin via collection buckets at National Sprints and the Sydney Harbour Challenge. We are now looking for volunteers to assist with “Bucket Brigades” at these events.
2. Fund Raising Page: Additionally we are setting up a page and encourage members to donate. If every member donated the cost of a cup of coffee we’d hit our goal. The AOCRA board have committed to matching donations up to the first $5k raised. Details to be shared.
3. Event Merchandise/Vendor contributions: We are reaching out to National event vendors about contributing a portion of funds to the cause. Local vendors for local events are encouraged to participate too.
4. Zone activities: I’ve spoken with the all but one Zone President today, asking if they too can support these efforts. NSW has already pledged to donate a portion of Zone race fees they receive from the next 3 regattas – Thank you for your generous support.
5. Club/ Event Barbecues/Corporate Day Fundraisers: You can help us reach this goal in other ways by hosting club, regatta or Bunnings barbecues and bucket brigades, with a portion of the proceeds to going to the cause.
Zone and Club donations will be collected until 22 March 2020 as we plan to announce our efforts to date at Sydney Harbour Challenge (including the Bucket Brigades from this event), and also announce your chosen charities. We will be tracking donations and proving updates via events and general member communications throughout the campaign.
We will be sending a separate communication to ask members for ideas on which charities to support. We have one suggestion via Facebook already, thank you. The RFS and Red Cross have been overwhelmed by support by the Army and other forces, so we keen to hear about those charities getting less attention but are equally important.
Being the holiday season and with a substantial call already being made on our volunteer ranks for our two major events, this is not an easy time to assemble volunteers for additional fund raising activities. So we probably need to see some new faces in the mix. If you are available and at all inclined to assist please do not be shy.
Whilst we are a small community, it’s time to come together to help other volunteer organisations help those who need it most. Again if you are directly impacted, please get in touch.
Please email email@example.com if you need a tax invoice donations.
On behalf of the Board