The upcoming 2021 Ocean Downwind Races are cancelled. New Dates for the 2021 & 2022 Ocean Downwind Series
The upcoming 2021 Ocean Downwind Races are cancelled. New Dates for the 2021 & 2022 Ocean Downwind Series.
Over the last two weeks we have worked closely with all the Ocean Downwind Series key stakeholders including our official sponsors; KRT Australia, Ozone Australia and MARGEN and hosting partners by zone. We all agree it is important to keep this Ocean Downwind Series alive and do all we can to offer a national series in Australia for our paddlers.
Reviewing the current COVID 19 compliance directives in place by state, we confirm the remaining races in the AO Ocean Downwind Series 2021 are cancelled as follows:
- Race 2, 25 September 2021, QLD, host partner Poly Va’a OCC
- Race 3, 16 October 2021, NSW, host partner Pacifica OCC
- Race 4, 1 December 2021, WA, host partner Hurricanes OCC
With the support of all our key stakeholders we are focused on the 2022 events calendar and excited to announce a new program of races for the 2021 & 2022 Ocean Downwind Series as follows:
- 6 x Race 2021 & 2022 Ocean Downwind Series
- Race 1 results and accumulated points count in this series
- Race 2, 5 February 2022, QLD, host partner Poly Va’a OCC
- Race 3, 27 March 2022, VIC, host partner Melbourne OCC
- Race 4, 27 May 2022, NSW, host partner Port Stephens OCC
- Race 5, 27 August 2022, NSW, host partner Coffs Harbour OCC
- Race 6, 30 November 2022, WA, host partner Hurricanes OCC
All paddler results from Race 1 held early this year on 4 June 2021 are included in the new 6 x race series. The MARGEN Leader boards will be published on Facebook to view and follow. The more races you enter, the more points you accumulate for the Series Prize Pool to be claimed in person at the series presentation event 30 November 2022 in Freemantle, WA.
Our official sponsors are 100% onboard with the new program and promotion of the 2021 & 2022 AO Ocean Downwind Series. Thanks to our hosting partners for their efforts in planning races with us this year. All our host partners are focused on the new 2022 race dates.
Thank you for your patience, understanding and support as we continue to plan great national events for all paddlers. Start planning for Race 2 on February 2022 in Queensland and watch this space for details on a brand new race starting 20 September 2022.
Yours in paddling
Director - Events